Sunday, January 6, 2013

Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin


I have really been trying to stick with our Grocery Challenge for the month.  And that has meant eating a little simpler and a little cheaper. But last week we did splurge on one meal. 

Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin.

I probably should have gone with something cheaper. 

And by the last week of January when I have very little to spend, I will really wish that.

But what is done is done.

I will say that it was GOOD stuff.

And once January is over, I WILL make this again. :)

This is another Pinterest recipe

Like I said, not cheap.

But oh, so good.

(And the good news is there were leftovers so we had lunch the next day too :)

Ingredients:
Pork Tenderloin (around 3 pounds...I used the Farmland Pork Loin, 2 in a package.  The original recipe cut them, I just kept them in 2 pieces)

1 lb bacon (I didn't quite have a whole package, so mine was more like 3/4 a package which was enough)

3/4 cup soy sauce (I would probably reduce this to 1/2 cup in the future)

1 Tbsp minced onion

1/2 tsp garlic salt (I did use garlic salt but probably would use garlic powder in the future. Pork and bacon doesn't need any extra salt :)

1 Tbsp white vinegar

1/4 tsp salt

dash of pepper (I used the peppercorn grinder)

3/4 cups brown sugar (I actually reduced that to 1/2 which was plenty to me)

Directions:
Wrap bacon around pork and place in a baking dish.

Poke holes in the pork.  I just used a knife and stabbed holes all over the meat.

Mix the remaining ingredients and pour over the meat.

Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours (or longer).  I flipped the meat a couple times to make sure it was all in the juices at some point.

The original recipe had this bake for 2-3 hours at 300.  However, I needed to cook potatoes and bake some bread, all at 400 degrees. So I cooked this for about 50 minutes to an hour at 400.  After about 40 minutes, a little bit of the bacon was getting dark so I covered the meat with foil and moved it down a rack.

After about 50 minutes, I checked the temperature. It was between 140-150.  I then pulled it out and let it rest for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

We had this with fingerling potatoes, honey yeast rolls (new recipe), and black-eye peas.

And I enjoyed each and every bite.

Yum.

Happy cooking!

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)