Thursday, March 10, 2011

Molten Chocolate Lava Cake

A couple of months ago, a friend of mine posted about this delicious "lava" cake recipe she had found on Pioneer Woman's blog (who attributes the recipe to someone named brandielle who wins my vote for Woman of the Year). I had gotten ramekins for Christmas last year and was just waiting for a reason to use them. As soon as I saw this recipe, I knew it was time. Mmmmmm. That is all I can say. Mmmmmm. They have become a family favorite.

Here is the recipe...mine is for 6 servings. If you click on the link above though, you can put in the number of servings you want and it will change the recipe measurements for you. That is a treat!

Molten Chocolate Lava Cake

  • 6 pieces (squares) Semi-sweet Baking Chocolate...Okay, I use the chips instead. You need 6 ounces. I think they melt much quicker than the squares do.
  • ¾ cups Butter (I use unsalted)
  • 1 ½ cups Powdered Sugar
  • 3 whole Eggs
  • 3 whole Egg Yolks
  • 9 tablespoons Flour
Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Spray 6 custard cups (or ramekins) with cooking spray and place on cookie sheet.

Microwave chocolate and butter in a bowl on high for about 1 minute, until butter is melted. Then stir until chocolate is also melted.

Stir in sugar until well blended.

Whisk in eggs and egg yolks.

Stir in flour.

Divide between cups.

Bake 13-14 minutes until sides are firm and center is soft. Let stand 1 minute.

The original recipe also has you make a cream for the side, but honestly, we are just happy using ice cream instead. I love the contrast of the cold ice cream with the warm cake. I even get the lower fat ice cream which I am sure cancels out the calories of the cake. Well, at least a few. :)

I really cannot say enough about this recipe. It is just...yum. Pure yum. My kids beg for it. I had a neighbor so very sweetly walk over in 24 inches of snow to deliver an egg to us because we were one short and needed this yumminess on yet another snow day at home.

The only bad thing? This recipe is easy. WAY too easy. Makes it really hard to resist making them!



Happy cooking!
Reba

1 comment:

  1. I made these and they are so good! In fact, it was all I could think about the next day that we made them again the following night! So so easy and so so yummy!! Addictive!

    ReplyDelete

Food for Thought (Comments)