Thursday, March 17, 2011

Ham Sandwiches

One night I asked my family what the one meal they wanted me to cook that month was as I planned my menu. (I really only plan a week at a time but I was trying to think ahead.) Both Hunter and Maria requested the "Square Sandwiches".

I honestly don't know the real name.

I just know I have had them at baby showers and finally got the recipe from my friend Carrie. I now make them for dinner on occasion and they get gobbled up. Tonight I made two packages...that made 24 sandwiches. I think one growing boy who will remain nameless ate 10 just alone. Yes, 10. (Lauren is the one person who won't touch them due to the mustard on them.)

Throw in some chips and a little fruit, and it makes a pretty good meal.

And the best part? They are easy, easy, easy. Few ingredients. And they can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to be cooked.

So here is the recipe for any ham sandwich lovers you might have in your household...

Ingredients:
1 package of King's Hawaiian Sweet Rolls (I made one package of the sweet rolls, one of the wheat rolls just to pretend to be healthier...)
1 package of deli ham, thin sliced
1 package of Swiss cheese (I only use cheese with holes...I don't trust Swiss Cheese without holes)
1 stick margarine/butter (I do sometimes just use half a stick)
1 tbsp onion flakes/dried chopped onion
1/2 tbsp poppy seed
1/2 tbsp Worcestershire
1 1/2 tbsp mustard (as in the yellow kind you put on hamburgers)

Split the rolls on one side and put half a slice of Swiss cheese (or a whole one if you wish) plus a couple pieces of the deli ham folded inside. I usually put them in an 11 x 7 baking dish.

Melt the butter/margarine. Stir in the onion, poppy, Worcestershire, and mustard all together and pour over the top of the sandwiches.

Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

Enjoy!


When I make them ahead, I sometimes pour the butter on top and sometimes wait. Depends on the circumstances.

Happy cooking!
Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)