Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Baked Potato Soup

Sorry for the shadow. I am not a professional cook OR photographer.

At the beginning of the week, I noticed that today (Wednesday) was going to be the coldest day of the week. I thought it was a good chance to have one last batch of baked potato soup for "winter". Yes, I am being hopeful that winter is on its way OUT. After all, the groundhog said so...right?

I can take NO credit for this recipe. My co-worker (and a wonderful cook) C. gave me this recipe. It is a family favorite (well, most of us, one child doesn't eat potatoes in any form or fashion). I do not do the onion. I do use low fat sour cream, low fat bacon bits, and 2% cheddar cheese. :) I am sure C. would say I have degraded the recipe with the low fast stuff, but I know if I am going to eat it (and I will), I need to do what I can to cut the calories. Because I rarely let any of this go to waste...just to "waist". :)

Baked Potato Soup
5 large baking potatoes
2/3 cup margarine or butter
2/3 cup flour
6 cups milk
¾ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
12 slices bacon (I use two packs of REAL bacon bits)
1 (8oz.) sour cream
¼ c. shredded cheddar cheese (Okay, I just use a whole bag)
onion

Cook potatoes. Cool. Cut in half, scoop out pulp and set aside. (I have done the potatoes all different ways. I have cooked them in the microwave. I have baked them in the oven. And today for the first time I just scrubbed them, poked them with a fork, then wrapped them in aluminum foil and left them in the crockpot on low all day...they were just fine that way too though not as pretty...their color is a bit different that way)

Melt butter over low heat. Add flour. Stir until smooth. Cook one minute stirring constantly. Gradually add milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Don’t let it burn.

At this point, I put it in the crockpot. You can just cook it on the stove if you want. I like to cook it at my leisure and let it heat all evening.

Add potato pulp, salt, pepper, bacon, and cheese. Cook until heated through; stir in sour cream. Add extra milk for desired thickness. Top with onion (well, I don't), bacon, and cheese. (I usually don't do the "top" part...I am just ready to eat the soup)

Enjoy! My husband likes to eat it with Fritos. I prefer to pair it with a crusty bread dipped in olive oil.

Tomorrow's recipe: Chocolate Lava Cake

Happy Cooking!
Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for Thought (Comments)